Podcasts have exploded in popularity in recent years, and it’s easy to see why. They’re a great way to get informed, entertained, or inspired, and you can listen to them anytime, anywhere. Whether you’re commuting to work, working out at the gym, or doing household chores, podcasts provide the perfect audio companion.
But with so many podcasts out there, how do you choose which ones to listen to? And how do you get started with podcasts if you’re new to them? This blog post will answer those questions and more, as we explore the world of podcasts and how to get the most out of them.
What are podcasts?
A podcast is a digital audio file that you can download or stream over the internet. They are usually created by individuals or organizations and cover a wide range of topics, from news and current events to sports, comedy, and more.
Most podcasts are available for free through various platforms, such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Podcasts, Radio Public and Stitcher. You can listen to them on your phone, tablet, or computer, and many podcasts have accompanying websites or social media accounts where you can find additional information and resources.
Why are podcasts so popular?
Podcasts have gained a massive following in recent years, and it’s not hard to see why. Here are just a few reasons why podcasts are so popular:
- Convenience – You can listen to podcasts anytime, anywhere, as long as you have a device and an internet connection. This makes them perfect for commuting, working out, or doing household chores.
- They’re diverse – There are podcasts on just about every topic you can think of, from current events and politics to sports, comedy, and true crime. No matter what you’re interested in, there’s likely a podcast for you.
- Easy to access – Most podcasts are free and can be downloaded or streamed on a variety of platforms. This makes it easy to discover new podcasts and start listening right away.
- They’re engaging. Many podcasts have a conversational or storytelling format, which can make them feel more personal and engaging than other forms of media.
- They’re customizable. With podcasts, you can choose which ones you want to listen to and when you want to listen to them. This makes it easy to fit podcasts into your busy schedule.
How to get started with podcasts
If you’re new to podcasts, it can be overwhelming to know where to start. Here are some steps you can take to get started:
- Decide what you want to listen to. Do you want to stay up to date on current events? Do you want to learn something new? Do you want to be entertained? Once you have an idea of what you’re looking for, it will be easier to find podcasts that match your interests.
- Explore different platforms. There are many platforms that offer podcasts, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Podcasts, TuneIn, Audible, and Stitcher. Each platform has its own selection of podcasts, so it’s worth exploring a few to see which ones you like best.
- Browse through the categories. Most platforms have categories or genres that you can browse through to find podcasts that match your interests. For example, if you’re interested in true crime, you can look for podcasts in the “true crime” category.
- Check out the charts. Many platforms have charts that show the most popular podcasts in different categories. This can be a good way to discover new podcasts that are worth checking out.
- Ask for recommendations. If you know someone who listens to podcasts, ask them for recommendations or their favorite shows they listen to.
Podcasts have become increasingly popular in recent years, and there are now hundreds of thousands of podcasts available covering a wide range of topics. If you’re interested in starting to listen to podcasts, there are many different apps and websites available for finding and subscribing to podcasts.
I hope this article helped you understand what podcasts are and the convenience of listening to them anytime. I started my own podcast last year and if you want to listen to it here is the website: 8th Level Podcast or listen on Amazon Podcast
If you are interested in how to get started in podcasting, let me know. Or if you have any questions about this article, contact us.